Thursday, May 24, 2007

ode to skype

I love skype. I do not know how I could live without it. As I have aversion to mobile phones and talking over phone, I always assumed that I would not like skype either. So it took a lot of time and persuasion (mainly from the side of my father) to convince me to finally install it on my computer and start using it.
I think the reason that I like it so much is that I can see faces of people with whom I talk and from that I can judge better the mood in which they are.

For example Ann on this picture (taken during our last skype conversation on 14th of May) is clearly worried with something:


I rarely see her that sad. The image of her that I keep in my head (and heart) looks more like this:

(This photo was taken during our last hike in Swiss Saxony, on the 14th of October 2006)

Today I also talked over skype with my father (and his wife). He can make me laugh as nobody else. I guess we simply have the same sense of humor. I wonder why ;-)
I was surprised to hear that he uses skype to communicate with his students. Is that a direction into which modern education evolves?
He also told me a strange story today that one of his (female) students to all questions during a written exam replied things like: I like sex, both in the morning and in the evening. I wear such and such underwear and so on. (Just to make it clear: my father does not teach sexual education. The exam was from ethics.)