Monday, September 1, 2008

Berlin 2008 - Museum Island/Museumsinsel

Berlin’s Museum Island was granted UNESCO World Heritage Site status in the year 2000 and at the same it was designed to be “a sanctuary of art and science.” There are five museums located on the island formed by the river Spree: Old Museum (Altes Museum), New Museum (Neues Museum), Old National Gallery (Alte Nationalgalerie), Bode Museum and Pergamon Museum. During this year's trip to Berlin I did not have time to visit any of these museums, but I had visited them during my previous visits to Berlin and I had enjoyed all of them a lot. If you have time to visit only one of them, go to the Pergamon Museum. It has an absolutely amazing collection of antiquities, the most stunning of which is Ishtar Gate of Babylone.

Spree and Bode Museum:


My personal favorite, Pergamon Museum: