Monday, November 10, 2008

Go and see Religulous

Last Saturday Anil and I went to see Religulous. I was very skeptical about this movie (or documentary, as some like to call it), mostly based on very critical reviews of it calling it "one-sided".

Religulous is definitely one-sided and it is not a documentary (*). The aim of this movie is not to try to understand religion, faith or what motivates people's - according to Maher, irrational - believes, but rather to simply ridicule everything that is connected with religion. And let's be honest, there are many ridiculous ideas, concepts and believes in most (if not all) world's religions and we should be able to laugh at those. I was definitely laughing a lot and aloud throughout the movie, even though you could call me a "Roman Catholic". I would call myself a "Liberated Roman Catholic" (**).

Religulous - trailer:


(*) Definition of documentary that I follow: "a work, such as a film or television program, presenting political, social, or historical subject matter in a factual and informative manner and often consisting of actual news films or interviews accompanied by narration"

(**) Liberated from the organization and some of the ideology, moral standards and believes of Roman Catholic Church.