Saturday, December 27, 2008

general anesthesia experience

A week ago I underwent a surgery that demanded use of general anesthetic. It was my first experience of such kind and I thought that it was very interesting.

First, when they were putting me to sleep, I remember talking with my doctor and asking him what my blood pressure was. I also remember him answering the question, even now I can almost hear his answer in my head. Strangely enough, I can not remember THE answer (meaning the numbers he gave me) even though I am sure normally I would remember it. I know that I drifted away immediately after his answer, so my conclusion is that my brain needed additional half a second, which it didn't get, to record it.

Then, when they were waking me up, I again had fascinating (at least to me) experience. The doctor was trying to establish contact with me by asking me how I felt. I was telling him that I was fine, but that I felt that my breathing was somehow obstructed. He couldn't understand my answer and repeated his question. I answered the same thing as before and as I was speaking I heard myself and realized that I was all the time speaking in English, which was probably why the doctor didn't understand me... I am not at all surprised by the fact that I was speaking English as I often catch myself thinking in this language and only switching to Polish if I am out of words. I am more amazed by the fact that I needed to hear myself to realize in which language I was speaking. Our brain works in mysterious ways.