Thursday, December 24, 2009

Warszawa

I've been to Warsaw multiple times and it never struck me as a particularly pretty city. To my great surprise I really enjoyed my stay in Warsaw this time around and I even found it prettier than Barcelona!

Moreover, people on the streets were genuinely nice towards each other, which also came as a shock to me. Warsavians are (or used to be, I should say) as known for their lack of politeness as New Yorkers...

In general, it also seems that Poland is doing economically better than even a year ago and that Polish people finally start to understand the value of hard work. I met many young people who were very dedicated to their jobs as they found them both interesting and financially profitable. It also seemed to me that slowly people start to lean towards Western lifestyle that I personally enjoy a lot: work hard, play hard.

Paradoxically all the positive changes that I saw in Poland saddened me a bit. Before this trip I have never imagined myself going back to Poland, but now the thought crossed my mind as Poland starts to offer things that are important to me. And you know how it is: the more choices and options, the more confusion... ;) Well, but it is great to have those options of course!

Here are some photos from Warsaw.

Zlote Tarasy:


Palac Kultury i Nauki - Palace of Culture and Science:


Adam Mickiewicz Statue:


Krakowskie Przedmiescie:


Plac Zamkowy - Castle Square:


Hand-made angels:


Warszawska Syrenka - The Warsaw Mermaid:


Stary Rynek - Old Town Market Place:




Barbakan - Warsaw Barbican:





Palac Krolewski - Royal Castle:


Plac Zamkowy - Castle Square at night:


Krakowskie Przedmiescie at night:


Palac Krolewski - Royal Castle: