Monday, February 14, 2011

More Indian than Indian Girls

Before my trip to India one of my generous co-workers lent me several of her beautiful Indian outfits. She recommended that I wear her silk salwar kameez on a day I meet Anil's parents. I followed her recommendation and here I am on my first day in India at their house:

In this beautiful outfit I felt like an Indian princess (despite the blond hair...) :)

I find Indian clothes immensely beautiful, and I am very impressed by the bold color combination that is common in Indian designs. However, if you know me, you know that my style is much more conservative and that the base color of most of my outfits is black.

Black clothes are rare in India and it is not easy to find them in the traditional shops. But, luckily for me, the luxury modern shopping malls carry some Westernized designs that occasionally use black. I was so happy about that, that I went a bit crazy and in just two hours at the mall I bought all the clothes that you can see at the photo below. At least these were money well spent, as I am wearing those clothes every day:

I'm very glad that I managed to find Indian clothes that perfectly fit my style. Thanks to that, even though I do not wear saris, Anil's mother does not try to influence what I wear and even compliments my style by saying that my clothes are more modest than the ones of many young Indian girls. (She is from older and more conservative generation, so for her the sole purpose the clothes should serve is to cover as much of a body as possible.)