Wednesday, August 24, 2011

1'000 Posts

This blog was born in November 2006, after I moved from good old Europe to the new and exciting US. Its key purpose throughout these years has been to update my family and friends on my life. I think this function has been served pretty well, though some of my friends would have preferred to see more personal posts.

In the future, I'm going to try to make it a bit more personal from time to time, but I think finding a good balance between objective/informative and subjective/personal won't be easy. One idea that I have is to increase the number of posts written in "real time." Rather than reporting after the trip, I'll try to write the posts while still in the heat of the moment. Let's see if it will catch on.

Over the years the blog has also turned into a photo-blog. The primary reason behind that was to make "reading" of it easier to my parents, who do not speak English. For the same reason I also briefly considered switching from writing in English into Polish, and I'm glad that I didn't. My writing in English vastly improved over the five years of blog writing. I find it much easier to convey the message I want and it takes me much less time than it did when I started the blog. I also make fewer spelling and grammar mistakes than I used to. This is not to say that my writing is perfect. It is still far away from where I want it to be, but it's getting there.

Posting photos has also been good for me. It has helped me to keep my photos (and memories) organized and it also helps me to work on the quality of my photos. I believe my photos also got better with time, and I hope they will get even better when I'll finally find some time that I can set aside specifically for photography.

In general, I'm very proud of myself for sticking to blog writing for a such long time, and for doing it pretty consistently over the years. I'm also enjoying this adventure, so you can count on me posting here for a few more years. It seems that I'm not in danger of running out of subjects to write about as I still have 105 blog post drafts that are waiting to be finished and published (and that number does not even include posts from my most recent trip to Europe!). Yes, it means that life is treating me well. It is fun and exciting, and brings a lot of new experiences my way. For which I'm extremely grateful.

If you have any suggestions/comments on how I can make this blog better, please let me know. I'm writing as much for you as for myself, so your feedback is important to me.

Be well and I hope to hear from you soon.

Yours truly,
Monika aka monsun aka scientika